A fall challenge on character trails. Often muddy, wet and slippery. Two distances to choose from, with a classic climb to the summit of Stewart Mountain on the long course.
Sunday, December 10, 2023
Online registration for 2023 is OPEN
- 2022 Stewart Mountain results: txt and pdf by Gary Duncan, original on webscorer by Patrick Burnham
- 2022 Stewart Mountain photos: on PIH Smugmug by Joseph Camilleri, on Flickr by Patrick Burnham
The races begin at the main beach of Thetis Lake and soon take you off into the character single-track sections of the park. The long course summits Stewart Mountain for some beautiful views; pause to enjoy! The short course follows similar trails out and then turns back toward the beach at the Aid Station.
Thetis Lake Park, Victoria BC. Start and finish near main beach.
Park in the main lot at the end of Six Mile Road.
Distance / Sanctioning
The classic long course is approximately 10 Miles (16 km) and the shorter course approximately 5.5 Mile (8.8 km). This cross country event is sanctioned by BC Athletics.
The main start for the long course is 11:30 a.m. A self-declared on-the-day early start option of 11:00 a.m. is available for those expecting to take over 2h15. If you are new to the race, we suggest using your road half marathon time as a guide. For your safety and in consideration of the support crew setting up and marshaling the course in whatever weather please start appropriately.
The start for the short course is 12:00 noon. No early start.
The short course is relatively flat with undulations and a mix of main trails, technical single track, and forest double tracks. The long course adds more tracks and a significant climb and descent. It should not be your first trail race, and you should be in half marathon shape. Depending on the weather there could be mud, deep puddles, flowing streams, downed trees, snow, ice, and rain – whatever it's all good!
Courses will be well-marked and marshaled but participants are responsible for watching for directional indicators at all times.
Registration for 2023 should open mid-September.
Entry Fees – 2022
- $ 30 Early-bird registration fee through Friday November 12th (day after Thetis Lake Relay)
- $ 35 remainder of November through early December
- $ 40 Race day – Cash or cheque only, no discounts
Men's and Women's:
- 19 and under
- 60 and over
- Only on race day Sunday, December 10th, 2023 10:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m., Thetis Lake main beach, with a cut off 15 minutes before each start.
The wash/change room building is closed and the water turned off. Port-a-potties are available, as should a dry bag drop area. Many clubs/groups also bring their own tents and fire rings.
Our volunteers will be serving up a hearty selection of warming food including hot chocolate, soup and grill cheese sandwiches to go with the oranges, bananas, cookies and other treats.
The nearby 6-Mile Pub is also prepared to welcome us with happy hour drink features and a 10% discount on food. Just show your race bib or mention code TLR
Stewart Mountain is one of four running events that is designated to annually support Harriers Foundation initiatives including student scholarships & bursaries, athlete travel, our youth development program and many other charitable projects within the community.
Notably the Harriers have founded six bursary and scholarship awards with UVic and Camosun over the years:
• John Thipthorpe Memorial Scholarship in Computer Science (1984),
• Gunner Shaw Memorial Award in Athletics (1986),
• Susan Reid Memorial Bursary in Civil Engineering (1997),
• Rosamund Dashwood Memorial Bursary in Dramatic Writing (2007),
• Ken Smythe Cross Country Award (2013), and
• Sandy Auburn Environmental Studies Memorial Scholarship (2018);
which together have dispensed over $71,000 total to at least 106 students through 2020.
The Harriers were also a major instigator and initial contributor to a seventh student award:
• Arthur Taylor Memorial Award in Track (2005);
that has dispensed over $44,000 total to 31 students through 2020.
- 2022 results: txt and pdf by Gary Duncan, original on webscorer by Patrick Burnham | photos: on PIH Smugmug by Joseph Camilleri, on Flickr by Patrick Burnham
- 2021 results on webscorer | photos: on PIH Smugmug by Joseph Camilleri, on Flickr by Patrick Burnham | story: Harriers Stewart Mountain Challenge: a little known 10-mile gem on Athletics Illustrated by Christopher Kelsall
- 2019 results: 10 Mile 5 Mile | photos: on PIH Smugmug by Joseph Camilleri
- 2018 results: 10 Mile 5 Mile | photos: on PIH SmugMug by Joseph Camilleri, on GD by John Sampson | story: Andrew Russell and Patricia Roney win 2018 Stewart Mountain Challenge on Victoria Sports News
- 2017 results: 10 Mile 5 Mile
- 2016 results: 10 Mile 5 Mile
- 2015 results: 10 Mile 5 Mile
- Complete List of Stewart Mountain Race Winners