42nd Annual Event hosted by the Prairie Inn Harriers Running Club
PIH is proud to present the 42nd Annual Harriers Pioneer 8K Road Race, part of the Vancouver Island Race Series and the BC Athletics Super Series. The race is also the BC 8K Road Race Championship in 2020 and 2021. The event has a rich history of outstanding performances attracting many Olympians and world record age category athletes. Several Canadian Records have been set at Pioneer. Initiated in 1980 by the Prairie Inn Harriers, and staged in Central Saanich for 38 years, the race relocated to nearby North Saanich in 2018. The new certified 8 kilometre course, is of similar profile to the old course and features an out and back route through rural farmlands just north of the Victoria International Airport along mainly quiet country roads.
Sunday, January 12, 2020 — NOTE Start Time is 11:30 am.
- 2020 Online Registration is CLOSED
- 2020 Harriers Pioneer 8K Printable Entry Form
- 2020 Harriers Pioneer 8K Course
- 2019 Harriers Pioneer 8K Satellite Course Map
- 2020 Pioneer High Performance Application Form
- 2020 Pioneer Complimentary Standards and Prize Money
- Share This Event with Friends on Facebook
- 2020 Results, Report, Video, Photos
- 2019 Results, Report, Video, Photos
Thank-you to our Island Series and race sponsors:
The Harriers Pioneer 8K is located in beautiful, rural North Saanich, about three kilometres south of the Swartz Bay ferry terminal and one kilometre north of Sidney and the Victoria Airport.
Race activities and the Start/Finish Line are centered at the Tourist Information Centre just off the Patricia Bay Highway, with pre-race late registration, package pickup, post-race refreshments and the awards ceremony at North Saanich Middle School, 10400 McDonald Park Road, a few hundred metres away via a pedestrian overpass across the highway.
Both venues have parking and are accessible off the highway in either direction from McDonald Park Road. Driving between venues takes 5 to 10 minutes as you can't go directly across the Patricia Bay Highway, so you can select which side to park.
Course Description/Event Records
The semi-flat, rural road course is certified and the event is sanctioned by BC Athletics. Race records are 22:58 (Carey Nelson in 1985) and 25:28 (Natasha Wodak in 2013). View the 2020 Pioneer Course map.
Post-race food and beverages will be served at the North Saanich Middle School on McDonald Park Road using the pedestrian overpass across the highway from the Start/Finish area at the Tourist Information Centre.
For immediate registration please enter and pay online here: 2020 Online Registration is Closed
Manual entry forms are also available at various locations or you can download a 2020 Harriers Pioneer 8K Printable Entry Form Completed forms can be submitted by mail to Harriers Pioneer 8K Race, 2600 Herbate Road, Victoria, BC, V9B 6J7. Please make cheques payable to Prairie Inn Harriers.
In person registration is available on race weekend at Frontrunners on Saturday and at North Saanich Middle School on Sunday.
Early entry fee
Adults $25 - No shirt (to December 12, 2019)
Students $20 - No shirt, all full-time Students (to December 12, 2019)
Regular entry fee
Adults - $30 (December 13, 2019 to January 9, 2020) Students - $25
Late entry fee $50 (All entrants - adults and students) on Race Weekend (January 11 and 12, 2020)
BC Athletics Members: Deduct $3 from above fees.
Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
$25 Early fee: Up to December 12, 2019.
$30 Regular fee: Up to January 9, 2020.
Online Registration closes at 6:00 pm on Friday, January 10, 2020.
$50 Race Weekend fee: Saturday, January 12, 2020 at Frontrunners Victoria, 1200 Vancouver Street, between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm, and Sunday, January 12, 2020 at the gymnasium in North Saanich Middle School on McDonald Park Road between 9:30 and 11:15 am.
Race Package Pickup
Saturday, January 11, 2020 (the day before the race), between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. at Frontrunners Victoria. Draw prize for all participants that pick up bibs on Saturday. Registration is also available at Frontrunners, Vancouver and View Street, on Saturday during bib pickup.
Race morning from 9:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. at the Gymnasium at North Saanich Middle School.
Five year age groups from 20 to 90+, plus 16-19 and under-16
Awards and Presentations
Medals to the top three runners in each 5-year age group and ribbons from 4th to 10th place in all categories. Draw prizes will be presented at the awards ceremony and will be pre-drawn. Please check the list for winning names.
Prize money and Harriers travel mugs presented to the top three senior runners, male and female, and to the top master male and female runners (40+ on race day).
High Performance Athletes
- Event records are 22:58 by Carey Nelson set in 1985 and 25:28 by Natasha Wodak set in 2013.
- Complimentary Entry Standards: Men's Open: 25:00; Women's Open: 29:00; Men's Masters (40+): 27:00; Women's Masters (40+): 31:00
- Ferry costs may be subsidized for off-island athletes. Transportation is also available to and from the ferry for Lower Mainland athletes. Please contact the High Performance Athlete Director for travel assistance.
- 2020 Pioneer Complimentary Standards and Prize Money
- To apply for high performance consideration, please complete this form 2020 Pioneer High Performance Application Form
- The Harriers Pioneer 8K is the first race of the BC Athletics Super Series of 12 races in Victoria and Vancouver. Check the BC Athletics website for more information and the full race schedule. It is also the first race of 8 races in the Vancouver Island Race Series. For more information check the Island Series website http://www.islandseries.org/
2020 Results, Report, Video, Photos | 2019 Results, Report, Video, Photos | 2018 Results | 2017 Results, Report, Video, Photos | 2016 Results, Report, Photos, More photos | 2015 Results, Video, Report, Photos | 2014 Results, Video, Photos, Report | 2013 Results, Photos, Video !--2015 PIH 2014 PIH 2013 PIH-->
Archived results can be found at racestats.org Pioneer 8K Results.